Berendsen is part of Elis, an international multi-service provider, and the leading supplier textile, hygiene and facility services solutions.
When Berendsen appointed a new CEO, a new Group HR Director ,and brought in new Senior Leaders to their Exec Board, it was to bring to life a new vision and strategy: to significantly grow its business and drive productivity and service excellence. They needed a complete review of their people strategy and organisational capability. TDP became their trusted integrated ‘Transformation Partners’ and embarked on a complicated 18-month embedded programme to transform the business across 40 sites in the UK.
The main project aims were to simplify the organisational structures within each plant, create consistency in organisational design, including roles and responsibilities and to build management and leadership capability. This would enable strong leadership, and an operational-excellence culture that focused on high quality service to customers, driving future growth in a competitive market.
This complicated programme of transformation needed a full-service approach which supported the client from initial conception and design, right though to implementation and embedding the changes within the culture. TDP led on three elements:
1)Building and implementing a new People Strategy: TDP became a strategic partner at Exec Board level and co-designed, then implemented, a new People Strategy to enable a substantial cultural change and increased leadership capability, this included:
- Developing and implementing a number of people focused transformation programmes including an Organisational Capability Review (OCR) and a Shared Services & Corporate Services Functional Redesign and realignment (included the centralisation of core group activities and consideration of outsourcing options)
- Designing & delivering the OCR Assessment process including all supporting materials, providing the expertise and resources to run the events. In addition, we upskilled the internal teams on the new capability assessment approach, and provided our expertise on psychometrics and career coaching
- Establishing strategic recruitment partners to develop Employee Value Proposition and identify new talent to organisation
- Designing and co-delivering the TUPE transfer of 7500 employees into 4 business lines
- Developing a staff and representative consultation and engagement forum framework
- Creating a group wide communications strategy and delivery plan
2) Managed the programme to deliver: We programme managed the entire suite of transformational projects, including:
- Managing the entire suite of transformational projects. We established a clear project plan and governance framework, roles and responsibilities, key activities end to end aligned with agreed timelines and managed cost, benefit and costs of change to ensure the programmes remained on track at all times
- We established standard programme reporting including key stakeholder engagement ensuring Programme Sponsor and Executive teams were informed every step of the way
- We worked closely with third party providers such as PA Consulting, Wipro, Page Group to align our programme activities and ensure all programmes remained on track and complimented each other to deliver the client’s needs
3) Leadership and Learning Frameworks: We ensured the changes landed, embedded long-term, creating the desired shift in culture by:
- Redefining the Leadership Capability Framework, aligning it to the new vision and values and then incorporating required behaviours into new job descriptions
- Developing an ‘Accelerated Leadership Programme’ to enhance new ways of working and key leadership skills such as coaching, commerciality, building high performance teams. We also aligned self-directed learning tools to provide ongoing online development for managers
- Creating a Berendsen Academy Learning framework clarifying leadership development opportunities, career pathways, apprenticeship & graduate schemes supported by an online self-directed learning toolkit
- Providing ongoing coaching and support to the HR teams throughout the transformation programme
This was a large-scale complex programme. With our partnership approach, structures and processes re-designed and then smoothly implemented, in the least disruptive way to the business. This huge shift in organisation re-design was supported hand-in-hand by our cultural and leadership development framework and programme management ability. Our full-service offering enabled the successful delivery of this complicated programme.