The Yorkshire Building Society is the third largest building society in the UK, serving over 3 million members for over 150 years.
Changing customer behaviours and commercial pressures meant YBS needed to overhaul outdated process and structures right through the whole business, starting with the senior leadership team, in order to achieve £7.5m reduction in employee cost savings against 2020 cost saving target. We partnered with YBS for 18 months, to set up and deliver this ambitious programme of transformational change and worked embedded within their office headquarters.
When we started on this programme of change there were no defined processes and limited experience of Organisational Design and managing change. When we finished, YBS were equipped and confident to continue design and delivery of the new business-wide structures, we:
- Partnered with the Exec team, Functional Directors, and People function keeping clear lines of engagement, advice and consistent delivery
- Defined, socialised and implemented OD principles from a blank sheet of paper
- Defined and implemented one set of Change Principles covering all people scenarios in a potential redundancy situation
- Led the professional review board to ensure that the OD aligns to and supported delivery of the business strategy priorities and adhered to design principles
- Managed the transformation through our six-step delivery model focusing heavily on initiate, mobilise, design and implementation. Enabled consistency of approach across each of the 20+ OD workstreams
- Consistently focused on colleague impact and experience with minimal disruption to business-as-usual activity and customers
- Created an embedded comms and engagement workstream with a clear comms strategy, Director-led personalised approach within a framework, standardised templates and consistent colleague experience
This ambitious programme was successful because of our renowned partnership approach and passion for delivery. We didn’t just create a way of doing things then walk away – we supported, trained and worked with the wider exec and people team to make it happen. We got our hands dirty and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with Directors as they delivered difficult messages and worked with the HR team to ensure the best colleague experience possible. As a result, this programme met all targets for cost savings, people experience, and delivery dates.